Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hawaiian Plumarias

For those of you who like plants on your back porch
but have a hard time remembering to take care of them...
this plant is for you!!!

This is a Plumaria. I have had this plant for
almost 20 years!!!
It grew so big that I had to put in into a bigger pot
because it kept blowing over in the wind.
When It continued to grow I decided it needed to be
cut back. I knew that if I placed the trimmed branches in water
they would root and I could replant them and have two plants!!!

What I didn't expect was for the original trunk to
continue to grow if I left it in the pot.
(Which I did because at the time I couldn't get it out)


So now instead of just having 2 fairly big Plumarias...


I have 3!!!


I also only water this plant about once a week
(or when I think about it)
And during the winter I put them in the garage,
the leaves fall off but they always come back to life
when I bring them outside in the spring!!!

This is only the second year they have flowered
but maybe cutting them back was the trick!!!

Gotta love hardy plants that can withstand our
hundred degree summers!!!!

1 comment:

Matthew said...

holy cow! those are huge! it's a whole lot better than being a stick in the dirt.