Thursday, May 27, 2010

Our Family Tree

Last summer we had a
Sorensen Family Reunion in Cedar City, Utah.
It had been a long time since we had all been
together so it was very fun seeing everyone again.
Most of our nieces and nephews have grown up
and are starting families of their own.
It was a really fun time.
So to commemorate the event we made a
Family Tree with everyone's hand print
as the leaves on the tree.


When we got home I decided to make it into
a quilt for Mom and Dad. I am finally getting
around to finishing it.


Here are some of our favorite
hand prints....
Matthew was still on his mission, but we didn't
want to leave him out.... so his hand is actually
Chris' hand.


Wayne and I tried to interlock our hands...


And of course Mom and Dad..
or Grandma and Grandpa..
(or Great Grandma and Grandpa)
are on the tree's trunk.
Jennifer had the greatest idea to put their
initials inside a heart on the tree trunk, and
we added apples for color.
I thought it turned out cute.


This was my first large freehand quilting project..
it was really fun to do but I need some more practice.
(So you might not want to look too closely)


I am looking forward to having another
family reunion when everyone is ready!!!

WooooHoooo!!!!!!

9 comments:

Melinda said...

RaeAnn, that is a beautiful quilt. I sure wish I had even one sliver of your creativity and talent! I know they will love having this.

JS said...

Mom! You did such a good job! It looks beautiful and turned out so well!

I love the etching in the tree. Is that paint or is that stitched. I can't tell.

garcias said...

Wow that is a fantastic quilt. I knew we left the creativity to you for a reason. :) I am a little disappointed that my hand wasn't included among the favorite. :) (I'm just kidding!) It is really beautiful.

Lisa said...

That is great! I love family trees of all kinds. I wish I had the talent to make one for my mom!

Jen said...

it turned out great and i love that you did the stitching around each hand and apple.

Matthew said...

cool Mom. it looks really good, but my hand print would be way better than Chris's.

Sally said...

Making a quilt out of the tree was brilliant and it looks so, so great!

Carolina girl said...

Wow! That is amazing, and beautiful!

Michelle said...

That turned out so cute! What a great idea! I love the initials on the tree too! It completes the tree. Thanks again for all your work in putting the reunion together. It was so fun to see everyone again!