Monday, October 20, 2008

Dedication

It has been a year today since my Mom passed away.
She was always such a great Mom to my sister and I and wife to my Dad. She was dedicated to us which was obvious by the way she was always involved in our lives.
She taught us to sew when we were young. Both Mary Jane and I completed 10 years in the 4-H program where we won many awards for our clothing and sheep projects.

Mom came with us each year as we attended 4-H summer camp.
Because the bathrooms were so far away from where we camped,
she would get up early each morning
and bring us water so we could freshen up and brush our teeth.
(Looking back, I think she just wanted to hurry us along,
but we thought it was because we were special!!!)

Mom was also my room mother every year at school until I grew out of having room mothers.
She always made special yummy treats for each of the holidays.
We were always the envy of the other classes.
She did all of this at the same time my Dad working as a carpenter.
She was always right there with him getting him supplies, painting
and helping with whatever he needed.

By her actions she taught me to be a kind and caring person.
They were always helping others, and actively, attended church.

We love this picture of Mom holding Berkleigh for the first time.


Mom loved to sew, crochet and knit. She always had a project that she was working on and many completed so she was ready to give anyone
who needed one a baby blanket or a hand made towel.

Mom loved flowers and hummingbirds. She had a collection of vases. And she loved to pick up and collect rocks from different placed they had visited.

Her favorite President was Ronald Reagan. When he was governer of California, he visited the Santa Cruz county fair. She crossed the barrier to shake his hand and get his picture. She might have had more pictures of Ronald Reagan than most of the rest of the family!

More recently, when we went to visit, Mom didn't usually
feel well enough to go out.
But this summer, we talked them into going to the beach for a barbeque.
Dad loved helping Tyson cook the hamburgers.
It was a great day.
(We always got a kick out of Mom's sunglasses!!!)


That same summer we also talked them into going to see the 10:00 pm showing of the
"Pirates of the Carribean".
We thought they would like it--- but not so much!!
Movies have changed a lot since they had seen their last one
20 years ago!!!

Mom was always really proud of her 5 Grandchildren and 7 Great Grand Children.
We love you Mom!!

10 comments:

Sidney said...

RaeAnn... I found your blog the other day via facebook, etc. Who knows! I love the blog because I love keeping up with friends and knowing what's going on! I hadn't realized your mother had passed away. I hope all is well. Things are well for us in SLC! Love ya! Sidney

Shari said...

Your Mom sounds like a really special, wonderful woman--no wonder you're so wonderful too!

Jen said...

She was great! I am glad I got to meet her once, but wish I could have gotten to know her much better.

Carolina girl said...

Sounds like an amazing woman, just like you! And I'm so glad she taught you to sew, and that you are now sharing your knowledge with me! Love ya! =)

Wendy said...

Awww..... Your parents remind me of my grandparents. I miss them both so much. Isn't it great to have been blessed with such a wonderful woman to be called Mom?

garcias said...

That was a beautiful post. Having read it, I can now see how all the talent runs through your and your family's veins. Mom's really are special.
Eileen

SweetmamaK said...

Hello dear friend! I was bored today and started reading blogs that are listed on the side of blogs of people I knew, when I came across jen's, I thought it was your cute daughter, but its been so long, then I saw your name! What a beautiful tribute to your mom. Where are you guys now? Are you in Louisianna? I'm in Houston, if you come around here let me know! Visist my blog and you'll see my four YES four kiddos. I can't beleive little Matt is on a mission. Where does the time go????? I think of you often, you are one of my favorite people from Austin. I saw Rita and Steve last year, I ran into them at the temple, it was so wonderful. I was a refugee at mom's house during IKE and I got depressed when I went to church, I only knew Sister Fairbourne and one other sister (whose name now escapes me--I'm getting old!) Anyhoo I am glad to see how adorable your family has grown into!

Susan said...

RaeAnn, what a sweet post - your mom sounds so wonderful - you were so lucky to have her for so long!

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

I was truly touched by your tribute to your mother. I can tell not only are you your mothers daughter but that you loved her very much. :) I hope one day my children think of me with sweet memories like that.

tiff said...

Wow. I love your mom already and I never even met her. She sounds wonderful. And I'm going to have to agree with everyone else that she passed a lot of those beautiful qualities on to her daughter. I love you, RaeAnn!