Friday, May 2, 2008

Our trip to Washington DC!!!

Wayne had a business trip to Washington DC this last week
so I was lucky enough to go with him and
see all of the magnificent sights
of our American heritage!!!The white house is one of the smaller buildings, believe it of not!!!
I have never seen so many huge buildings that take up entire blocks!!!
President Bush waved to us from the White House!! (believe it or not!!)
Climbing to the top of the Washington Monument
was another awesome experience.
We were in the presence of greatness as we rode to the top
of the monument
with a boy scout troop from North Carolina!!
The Lincoln Memorial was the one monument that
I was the most excited to see!!!
And it was even grander than I imagined!!!
Sitting on his lap was very cool too!!! (believe it or not!!)
The Iwo Jima memorial was the first monument that we saw after
arriving in Washington DC.
It was in walking distance to our hotel.
We walked there just before dark and my first thought was "It's Huge"!!!
Pictures do not do it justice.
The same thought went through my mind all week upon seeing Washington DC.
It is amazing how such a small area of land can hold so much history!!!
There was a few times that I was drawn to tears
because of the magnitude
of where and what I was looking at.
The Iwo Jima monument was the first time,
a couple of days later the Vietnam memorial took my breath away
as I thought about my POW bracelet that I wore all during high school,
and the third time I was standing in the rotunda of the capitol
looking up at the immense hand painted ceiling.
Seeing over 200 years of history in one week is beyond words.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I am so glad y'all had fun! After looking at your pictures, it really makes me and Chris want to go to Washington DC.

JS said...

You took some great pictures. Glad you had fun, and hope your knee gets some rest!

Carolina girl said...

I so want to take a family trip to Washington,DC, but probably not until the girls are a little older and will appreciate it more. :)

Vicki's Vicissitudes said...

My dad was in the Marines when I was a little girl. He lived in Virginia when I was about 8. We spent one summer with him and one of my favorite trips was going to Washington D.C. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I want to go back as an adult. I am glad you enjoyed it.